I wanted to make a homemade lipstick that looks like the one you get in stores. Turns out how to make your own lipstick like a pro is not as hard as you can imagine. Packaging and a few tools can sometimes makes a world of difference!
- 1 tsp natural red colorant 10% (Natural carmine CI 75470 (obtained from cochineal) on sunflower oil carrier)
- If you are not using carmine, use 1 tsp of camelia seed oil and blend the mica or clay with it.
- 1 tsp Rice wax 10%
- 1 tsp Carnauba wax 10%
- 1 tsp candelila wax 10%
- 3 tsp organic refined shea butter30%
- 2 tsp organic castor oil20%
- 1 tsp organic camellia seed oil 10%
- You’ll need silicon mold for liptick, you can get this one from Aroma Zone (French company so keep in mind you will have to pay import custom fees if you don’t live in France. )
- or try to the one I found on amazon.com
- Lipstick tubes– If using an old liptick container one make sure it is clean, dried and sterilized.
- Melt the oil, butter and waxes in a double boiler on low heat until melted.
- Add the colorant, mix well.
- Pour in the empty lipstick tube as explained above.
- Put in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Unmold as per instructions.
- Use within one year.
I found those beautiful lipstick containers that have a silver body and cap, with glossy silver ring that looks exactly like the one you can buy at major brand store. You can get those lipstick containers or empty lipstick tubes on Aroma Zone if you live in france or Amazon.com
When I was done with the final lipstick in hand, I was almost as excited as when I made my first homemade face cream!
The secret to making this homemade and organic lipstick like a pro is the lipstick silicon mold!
It will give the perfect lipstick shape. This homemade lipstick recipe is not a regular lip balm recipe as there are a few steps you need to do with the silicon mold. This silicon mold has been custom made by Aroma-zone. It’s a French company that sells great quality beauty care ingredients. The only hiccup is that you most likely will have to pay a custom (tax) fee if you do not live in France. You could also decide to get another lipstick mold I found on amazon. I have not tried this one yet but it has good reviews!
This organic lipstick recipe is without beeswax and could be a vegan lipstick recipe if you replaced the natural carmine red colorant by iron oxydes. Instead of beeswax I’ve used rice bran wax, candelilla wax and carnauba wax.
Why so many waxes you may wonder?
It is because it will give the right creamy and thick texture to your homemade lipstick. This is more suitable for colour-rich lipstick. It has a soft satin and semi-matte finish and stay one for more than 5 hours.
It will moisturize your lips while showing intense colour.
Rice Bran Wax comes from the cold press de-waxing of the rice bran oil. It can be used as a thickener and has emollient properties.
Candelilla wax is a wax derived from the leaves of the small Candelilla shrub native to northern Mexico. It has great protecting properties and is an effective emollient. Plus it adds a nice gloss to lipsticks.
Carnauba wax comes from the leaves of the Brazilian palm tree Copernica Cerifera also refered as the “tree of life”. It is used as a thickening agent for lipstick and if one of the hardest of natural waxes.
I chose a red carmine colour for this lipstick but you could create your own shade by mixing 1 tsp of camelia seed oil with mica or iron oxyde of your choice. I suggest mixing a very small amount of mica or iron oxydes together to get the color you are looking for BEFORE you incorporate into the camellia seed oil.
How to make your own lipstick:
Step by step how to use the lipstick silicon mold
- Remove the cover and the base of the lipstick container
- Turn the bottom white part of the mechanism to the maximum in order to have the transparent inner part up.
- Clip the transparent inner part in the lipstick mold
- Put the lipstick mold upside down on a table and start pouring through the bottom of the body of the empty case.
- Pour the melted lipstick mixture quickly inside the lipstick container.
- Try not to exceed the little white gate.
- Place the entire (+ mold body of the case) 15 minutes in the freezer in the same position as casting.
- To unmold, put the lipstick upright and unmold gently the silicon mold.
- Turn the mechanism to retract the lipstick stick inside the body of the container, then put the base and the cover.
- Clean the silicon mold with warm water and soap. Let dry before you use again.
I’ve love to hear from you about this DIY beauty recipe, do you think this was helpful to learn how to make your own lipstick?
Please take two minutes of your time to let me know your thoughts and if you have any questions!