Its been years since I have used painkillers (knocking on wood…); I have decided to switch to a more natural alternative method to fight occasional headaches: my own blend of essential oils against headaches. There are many essentials oils that can be used to relieve headaches way more safely than painkillers; If doubtful, I suggest you try this essential oil blend recipe and make up your mind after that!
Commercial pain killers can have undesirable seconds effects; they can also can become addicting. did you know that many of the painkilling drugs have a slightly sedative and sometime even a depressing effect?
In this blend I use peppermint essential oil which will provide a cooling effect; Peppermint, eucalyptus, cajeput, lavender, vetiver and rosemary essential oils are all analgesic, meaning they are natural painkillers! Vetiver oil is rubefacient and Marjoram (meaning it’s warming and increases blood flow) so this will give a warming effect on the skin. Basically once applied on skin, it will feel hot and then cold, hot and cold, hot and cold!
- 30 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 20 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 15 drops of cajeput essential oil (optional)
- 10 drops of rosemary essential oil (optional)
- 15 drops of lavender essential oil
- 1 toothpick shake of vetiver essential oil (vetiver is very thick so no drops here!) (optional)
- 15 drops of marjoram essential oil
- 1 teaspoon of saflower oil. (you can substitute for another carrier oil as long as it is light and that the scent is not strong not to interfere with the scent of essential oil).
- 1 glass roll on
- You can use this blend of essential oils for headaches by rubbing on your temples, forehead and back of neck. You can also add a few drops of the essential oils blend on a old compress and and back of your neck. It also help to breath and inhale deeply the blend for a few minutes.
- While I will share my essential oil recipe blend for headache relief, I think it is essential to find the root of the problem; whether it is hormonal, stress related or because of your diet, please consult your naturopath or MD if you have recurring headaches or migraines.
- If you are making this blend of essential oils against headaches, please let me know how you liked it on Facebook; Twitter or Google Plus