This shea butter lotion recipe is quite sinful and great for the change of season and to protect your face from cold, dry weather. Shea butter is packed with vitamin A, E, F and K. Always look for organic raw shea butter, grade A.
Sometime, I also like using organic refined shea butter as it does not have any strong nutty smell. Just keep in mind, the refined shea butter won’t be as packed in vitamins as the raw organic shea butter by far. Now you must ask yourself what is more important for you? Smell, texture and comfort or getting the best available product on your skin? I’ll let you decide!
I’ve also used organic camellia seed oil which is definitely one of my favourite oil to use on my face. The geisha used it on their hair and skin,a well kept secret (well until now!). It comes from the seeds of Camellia sinensis which is the plant that produces tea leaves.
Now it’s maybe not such a surprise that I am so in love with this oil since I’m a tea addict…! This oil is light, not greasy, absorbs easily, has barely any scent but it is emollient, anti-aging, astringent. Also very rich in oleic acid and vitamins A, B, D and E as well as Omega 3, 6 and 9.
I’ve added a little bit of organic cocoa butter because it gives wonderful textures to lotion (not mentioning it is great for dry skins!)
Don’t forget to take a look at my other face cream recipes. Enjoy!
- Shea Butter Lotion Recipe Ingredients:
- Water Phase: 10 tablespoons total – (47%)
- 10 tbs of organic aloe vera juice
- Oil phase: 10 tablespoons total– (47%)
- 5 tbs of organic refined shea butter
- 1 tbs of organic cocoa butter
- 4 tbs of organic camelia seed oil
- Natural Emulsifier: (5 %)
- 1 tbs of organic beeswax pellets
- Essential oils blend (optional):
- This essential oil blend is great for ageing skin and to fight wrinkles...plus it smells divine!
- 5 drops lavender essential oil
- 3 drops of rose geranium essential oil
- 3 drops of frankincense essential oil
- 3 drops of palma rosa essential oil
- Glass Salve Containers- You can also find glass cream containers on amazon.com and amazon.ca
- Combine all the oils, shea butter & beeswax to your double boiler (basically put a aluminium bowl in a pan filled with water) on low heat until they are melted.
- Take your bowl out of the heat and add the aloe vera (make sure it is a room temperature and not too cold) then start whipping until you get the creamy consistency desired.
- Add the essential oil if you wish and mix well.
- Pour in a glass jar container and use within 2 months.
- Yield: 2 times 50ml glass jar.
Please tell me what are your thoughts on this amazing shea butter lotion recipe for dry skin in the comments below!