That’s it…I finally have gone NO POO! Here is one of the no poo shampoo recipe I use below:
Soapwort is a plant and has an ancient reputation for treating skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, and acne. It does give a little lather but do not expect big bubble like a commercial shampoo. In this no poo shampoo recipe I add a little bit of Xantham gum to thicken and for easier use. It is obtained from corn sugar and it is one of the most common thickening or stabilizing agents used in foods, cosmetics, and medicines.
- 2 tablespoons of dried soapwort root
- 1 tablespoon of dried sage for dark hair or of chamomile flower for blond hair and hibiscus flowers for red hair ( I have used hibiscus flowers for this recipe; it gives a nice pink color to the shampoo). Lavender and rosemary are good for all type of hair.
- 3 cup of filtered water
- 1 tablespoon of liquid honey
- OPTIONAL: 1 TABLESPOON OF APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
- ½ teaspoon or more of xantham gum*
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil
- 20 drops of tea tree essential oil
- 10 drops of peppermint essential oil
- Boil the dried soapwort root and chosen herbs and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cover the pot to avoid losing too much water. Let infuse and cool for 5 minutes and strain.
- Add the honey and the apple cider vinegar. Mix well.
- Add the xantham gum, and start whipping with an electric mixer, after a few minutes, the liquid will turn into a thick gel.
- If it is still too liquid after 5 minutes, add a little more xantham gum.
- Once cool, add the essential oils.
- Use tea tree if you have a itchy scalp or dandruff. Pour it in a glass bottle and keep in a fridge for a maximum conservation. This can keep about 10 days.
*If you are allergic to corn do not use xantham gum.
Word of wisdom: Soapwort can irritate eyes, avoid contact with eyes.