If you are looking for an easy coconut oil body butter recipe like body shop but without the chemicals, you have come to the right place! You can whip this homemade coconut oil body butter recipe in max 20 minutes in your kitchen. It’s a great body butter to fight against dry and flaky skin.
Instead of crappy chemical fragrances used by Body shop, I’ve used organic essential oils. You can always skip the essential oils if you prefer to make an unscented homemade coconut body butter, that’s totally up to you!
Last but not least, this is a vegan coconut oil body butter recipes as it contains no beeswax. I have used carnauba wax instead.
Benefits of Coconut Oil
Acting as a carrier oil or vehicle for the body butter, coconut oil is in a solid state at 76 degrees and melts when applied to the skin. It makes a perfect ingredient for any body butter recipe. It is also known for its antimicrobial and moisturizing properties which keep the skin nourished.
Benefits of Shea Butter
Shea Butter is a fat that is derived from the nut of the African shea tree and has a faint yellow color and nutty smell when it is unrefined. It contains vitamins F, A and E along with essential fatty acids that provide intense moisture and hydration to the skin. It also has a natural SPF factor which protects skin from harmful effects of the sun.
Benefits of Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter is a fat acquired from the cacao bean pod and has a creamy texture and yellow color. Since it is an amazing thickening agent, it is useful in maintaining the texture of your body butter recipe. It contains high amounts of vitamin E and antioxidants which nourish and hydrate the skin while protecting it from signs of aging.
Benefits of Sunflower Oil
Since coconut oil tends to solidify at colder temperatures, we need to add another carrier oil to have a silky texture to your body butter. I have chosen sunflower oil because it is cost efficient, practically unscented and has moisturizing and skin conditioning properties. It is also high in vitamin E which helps prevent sun damage and skin irritation.
Why should you spend time (20 min) making your own body butter?
You are assured that all the ingredients of your body butter are organic, all-natural and safe for your skin.
When you make your own body butter, you can find a way on how to make body butter less greasy and can customize it to your own liking.
It will save you money! That’s most especially true if you plan on giving the body butter as gifts to your friends and family.
It saddens me that body shop claim to offer natural body beauty products where they are indeed full of chemical ingredients. Make your own body butter recipe and stop giving money to multinational that do not care about your health and are only there for the money. Plus body shop is now owned by L’oreal and they do animal testing.
Also, I noticed something a bit amusing is that the coconut oil body butter, the cocoa body butter while they have different names and different packaging, they have pretty much the same ingredient list. The only difference is the fragrance… the coconut oil body butter contains the following chemicals:
How harmful is the coconut oil body butter sold by Body Shop?
The coconut oil body butter contains the following chemicals:
- Butylphenyl Methylpropional Lilial: is a synthetic scent ingredient; associated with allergies and contact dermatitis. Possible human immune system toxicant or allergen, Persistent or bioaccumulative and moderate to high toxicity concern in humans, Associated with endocrine disruption.
- Dimethicone: (also called polymethylsiloxane) is a silicon-based polymer used as a lubricant and conditioning agent. There are moderate concerns for organ system toxicity, classified as expected to be toxic or harmful.
Full Ingredient list body shop coconut oil body butter:
Aqua/Water (Solvent), Glycerin (Humectant), Theobroma Cacao Seed Butter/Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter (Emollient), Butyrospermum Parkii Butter/Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter (Skin Conditioning Agent – Emollient), Helianthus Annuus Hybrid Oil (Emollient), Cetearyl Alcohol (Emulsifying Agent), Glyceryl Stearate (Emulsifying Agent), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (Emollient), PEG-100 Stearate (Surfactant), Ethylhexyl Palmitate (Skin Conditioning Agent), Cocos Nucifera Oil/Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil (Emollient/Hair Conditioner), Bertholletia Excelsa Seed Oil (Emollient), Caprylyl Glycol (Skin Conditioning Agent), Dimethicone (Skin Conditioning Agent), Cera Alba/Beeswax (Viscosity Controlling Agent), Parfum/Fragrance (Fragrance Ingredient), Xanthan Gum (Viscosity Controlling Agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster), Disodium EDTA (Chelating Agent), Benzyl Benzoate (Fragrance Ingredient), Coumarin (Fragrance Ingredient), Butylphenyl Methylpropional (Fragrance Ingredient), Citric Acid (pH Adjuster), Caramel (Colorant).
Step by Step Coconut Oil Body Butter Recipe
Melt the butters, oils and wax together in a double boiler on low to medium heat.
Put the recipient in the freezer for 15 minutes until it has hardened but is not completely frozen. It should be more frozen than the image below.
Whip with an electric egg beater until nice and fluffy.
Add essential oils and pour in a container!
- 4 tablespoons of sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons of refined shea butter
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa butter
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of brazil nut oil (optional)
- 0.5 teaspoon of carnauba wax
- Essential oil blend:
- 5 drops of palmarosa essential oil
- 5 drops of frankincense essential oil
- 3 drops of ylang ylang essential oil
- Melt cocoa butter, coconut oil, shea butter and carnauba wax in a double boiler.
- Once melted, add the sunflower oil.
- Put the recipient in the freezer for 15-20 mins, until the ingredients have hardened but are not completely frozen.
- Take it out of the freezer and start mixing with a hand blender until it is nice and creamy.
- Add the essential oils if you wish.
- Pour into nice containers.
- Voila, you have made an all natural and organic coconut oil body butter recipe!
Now if you are ready to make this recipe and are missing some ingredients, know that you can find them easily on Amazon and that seriously fast delivery with their 30 days free trial for Prime that gives you free shipping, it makes your life much easier!
Please let me know your thoughts on this coconut oil body butter recipe, if you have any questions in the comment section below, fire away!